Sunday 20 February 2011

Another globe attempt...

Well.. I googled 'how to make a paper globe', and came across the following website:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4461007_make-paper-globe.html
I thought it looked good, as the template it gave me to print out looked like it would work perfectly, and it was for kids so it should of been rather simple..


Here is all the sections that they tell you to cut out, like so. Then following the instructions I started to glue to tab bits, to attach all the sections of the hemisphere together. The first couple of sections came together nicely, as seen below.


... However as I continued and glued all the sections together, it was clear that they didn't all seem to 'link' nicely. I don't know whether this is because of the thin paper I was using, made slightly flimsier by the printer ink, or whether perhaps I hadn't quite cut it out neat enough, but I carried on anyway.


At this point I was thinking it might just work, as it looked better than it had previously. Although for some reason it was like the instructions stopped. They weren't telling me what to do with the other bits that I still had left, so I decided to try and work it out myself.


They called this section the 'north hemisphere base' so I figured it went like this, to hold the paper in a more 'round' position and to reinforce it a bit, but when I tried sticking it in, it just didn't didn't quite fit. This could of bin because I hadn't managed to stick the hemisphere bits together properly, but either way it wasn't fitting.


So then I was left with this. By this point it's looking quite hopeless, and I think maybe it's a bit too complicated. I'm quite shocked that this was for kids, as I found most bits of assembling this rather difficult and do not see how a child could of done this! Also you can see on the right hand section that it is not going together properly, and doesn't even look like a proportional half sphere, I think even if I had managed to get both sections together, the globe wouldn't have been an actually rounded globe.

At this point I am giving up on this idea, and moving on to look at another.

A trip to IKEEEEEEA... inspiration is all around!

 LIGHT SHADES!



 I think these two are very interesting! You can see the way in which the designer has linked each bit of plastic together to create the globe shape. I think I could also do this out of paper... Although the shape isn't very smooth, I've found it useful to see how other people approach the task of making a sphere, even with different materials.


 This one is extremely similar to the shades that my Dad has in his living room, and is also done using a technique that I am about to look into.


I think this one looks like it's paper, but when up close you realise it is actually plastic.. But a similar thing could be done with paper. Maybe I should think about using the trees made out of paper to make my globe using a comparable method.

No comments:

Post a Comment