Saturday 5 February 2011

Task 2 : first session

For task 2, we had to choose a starting shape. This was mine: 

 Then we had to create 5 different shapes, from the same starting point again...
 For my first shape I went for the obvious thing to do, connecting each opposite point together. I think it looks a bit like ribs or something. Very simple, but I didn't find it to be a very interesting shape.
 This time I just took the points into the middle, which also to me looks like ribs! I wanted to get away from that association for my other shapes...
 ... So I tried some alternation by affixing the points alternatively on either side of the paper. I could see the shape becoming more interesting already.
 I decided to try something similar, so instead of attaching the points in a pretty straight way, I chose random points to which the strips would reach, on either side of the piece. I found that doing this made a much more attractive and exciting shape. I love how the curves look like folds coming from different directions.
For my fifth shape I chose to keep the points on the same side of the piece, but brought the idea of randomly alternating where they join. I think this was my favourite of the five, as it looks good from every angle that you look at it. I also like how it brings each end of the shape up off the table slightly, giving it more shape. I think it looks like some type of prawn. I wonder what it would look like with more strips to connect...

No comments:

Post a Comment