Thursday 17 February 2011

Sweeney Workshop Number Three...

For our third workshop with Richard Sweeney, we started to look more at symmetry and repetition.
He showed us a method of folding the paper in half, so when a shape is cut out and then unfolded, it will be completely symmetrical..
This method reminded me of cutting out snow flakes.. so tried it out, but making a square, and folding it into quarters.

stage 1
stage 2


 So this is what it looked like once unfolded. Not particularly exciting or interesting.. but maybe this method could be applied to making another shape.. possibly making the shape using the paper that's cut out already. This would give the shape a completely different look, and would photograph really well with the light coming through the holes.

 ARROWS> by folding the paper in half, I could get the arrows directly in line. This might come in handy at some point...
 After doing the first cut out arrows, Ross, sitting next to me, suggested that I didn't cut the arrow out fully and leave it poking out.. like so! ^  ..and then cutting out another arrow from the arrow inside!

 I like this, it gives more volume to the paper.. and as I'm meant to be creating a three dimensional shape/sculpture, I need to look at this more.


I also tried folding the paper into thirds, so when it was folded out, there would be three completely symmetrical shapes in a line... like so:


I need to think about how I could incorporate this into a three dimensional shape, like maybe if I cut something out of the paper first before then manipulating it into a more 3D shape...
This is very simple, I just cut a few parallel arcs out and then started bending them out in different directions. It didn't quite work out how I would of liked it to, but in another way I also quite like it. It makes me think of the solar system a little bit!


Of course the way it is photographed affects the way it looks as a shape, but at least it's got more of a three dimensional look to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment