Wednesday 9 February 2011

... decisions?

Right.. Peter Callesen you've inspired me once again.
 Callesen calls the metamorphosis of a flat piece of paper into a three dimensional form “obvious” magic, because the process is straightforward, and the figures remain attached to their origins, with no possibility of escape...
 I love how something so simple can still have so much meaning, like this image above, 'End of the Road'. All he has used is paper and a tiny bit of glue and he has created something that a lot of people can relate to.
 Also in this one, 'Distant Wish', I love the contrast of the simpleness of the net left behind on the sheet, and the complicity and detail of the bird rising up out of the flatness.
"I feel that I have found a material which we all are able to relate to, and at the same time is non-loaded and neutral and therefore easier to fill with different meanings. The thin white paper also gives the paper sculptures a fragility which underlines the tragic and romantic theme of the works."  Peter Callesen.  

inspired by... 
here are some of my own experiments, based on the idea of something rising up out of the paper...


My first experiment is based on leaves, but I decided to do this extremely simply. 

Although I like this, I feel that I could do this again with more detail, and maybe a better composition, to make it a bit more of an interesting piece. Also maybe on a larger scale, or just larger leaves?
Leaves linked to trees.. I love this idea as it's almost like the tree has sprouted and grown out from the paper itself.. although again this was a quick, very simple attempt. I photographed it against a black background as well to see if it made it stand out more...
... But I actually think I prefer it against the white, it looks a lot more professional. This is photographed in black and white also, as I think it emphasises the shadow and looks better. I think I will use the following images to create another tree, this time bigger and more detailed, as I have made the DECISION to do something like this for my final piece.


                                                      

1 comment:

  1. Amazing pieces of work mate :) I especially love the tree paper sculpture.

    ReplyDelete