Saturday 5 February 2011

Sweeney Workshop Number Two ...

Our second workshop with Richard Sweeney was quite similar to our first one, although this time he was encouraging us to start trying out things on a larger scale, so starting out with an A4 or A3 sheet of paper instead...

 This is a shape that Sweeney demonstrated how to make at the beginning of the session. I thought I'd try it out on a smaller scale first, as it may look simple, however the concept of making it was more difficult than I'd thought! He made it look easy! I managed this one eventually, but when I tried to do it bigger, I failed miserably. I made a mistake at one of the stages which affected the whole thing! OOPS!


 However then I did start with an A3 sheet of paper for this one. I had no plan or idea of what I was going to do, but just went for it!
 I scored some random lines going from one side to the other in several places, and then just bended them to see what would happen! Then in the places that looked like they would connect nicely I made little slits to join them together, making it a 3D standing form.
 This shape had many different views and each side looked different! I think this view is one of the best, I love how the paper makes like mini mountains poking out of the rest of it.
 I think this is a really nice shape, the curves are so smooth I can't quite get over how paper can look so beautiful so simply.
 Also the places that I scored made really nice folds and edges, very smooth as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment