Tuesday 1 March 2011

A tree is a perennial woody plant...

.. BUT today it is a perennial PAPER plant!

The first thing I tried is just a simple 'cartoon' style tree, which is a very straight forward way.. I believe this is how I used to draw trees when I was younger!


This, of course, is a tree with leaves! However, I think there is something wonderful about branches of a tree. I find it fascinating how they grow out of the trunk of the tree, and wonder what it is that makes them take the form that they do...


So I tried cutting out a tree with branches, that wasn't too complicated! I actually quite like this one, although I think I would cut it so that the trunk was straight, so it would slot into my globe better.


 I took a photo of the paper I had cut the tree out of as well as I thought it looked really good as a negative too! Of course, not really helpful or relevant for my project.. But still good.


Bit of Peter Callesen stylieeee! Seeing them next to each other on the cutting mat, I just wanted to move them like this, very much like Callesens work indeed! I like!

Now back to the work in hand...


I found this in google images, after typing in 'paper trees'. This is one of the ways I am considering doing my trees.. making them more three dimensional. This is done by having two identical, or un-identical as a matter of fact, cut outs which have slits in the trunk so that they slot together..


Like this! One slit has to come from the top, and the other at the bottom, so they can slot together nicely...


... Like so.


I did not make little bits coming out at the bottom so it would stand, so I just propped it up with pens on my desk to take this photo, as it would be slotted into my globe so it wouldn't need to stand up by itself.
I'm not sure if I like this or not, I think I like the idea but because this was just a little test and I didn't take time and care with it and it's slightly messy really.

No comments:

Post a Comment