Wednesday 9 March 2011

The Making Of...

Getting on with the poster for task two.. I have chosen my font, and the size. I am going to use Britannic Bold, size 100, to link in nicely with the 100 years of GF Smith! So I started by printing out my text, and tracing it out onto the A2 sheet of white card I had bought specially ... 


Once I had drawn it all out in place, I had the horrible task of cutting out all the letters, as neatly as possible! Without cutting it out completely!


Mostly it went well, and it was very exciting as I started to fold all the letters one by one, up out of the paper! I could see my idea coming together right in front of me!


Although... I did make ONE mistake!! I knew it would happen. I had a momentary lapse of concentration.. resulting in the 'D' from design being cut out completely. OOPS. 
Not to worry though, I doctored it and used another small bit of card to attach it back where it should be. I don't think you can tell on the photographs.. so all is well! 

Next task.. GETTING A GOOD PHOTO OF IT! 


Firstly, I just tried photographing it on my desk, with white paper underneath and up the back, trying to cut out any edges, to make editing easier.. It's quite tricky to photograph this with all of it in focus. 

Maybe I should of put the more important information at the front, so it would look larger when the photo was taken. Or even done the '100 years of GF Smith paper' in a larger font, so it stood up taller than the rest of the text. 


Then I tried changing the lighting to see if it would make the text clearer and easier to read. I just used the desk lamp and shined it on the paper from the side. This definitely made the text at the front bolder and more defined.. but the important information at the back doesn't stand out at all. 


Then I tried moving the lamp about to have the light coming in from different angles, but didn't get much from it. However, while looking through my photos with Jenni, she pointed this one out as one of the ones she liked the most.. thinking it would make a nice poster as a hole, with the light and things on my desk too. I really like it too, although I think it would look better without the blank white piece up the back. Also, this poster has to be portrait, not landscape, but I could photograph it again and set it up like this, but take the photo portrait? 


I didn't really feel like I was getting anything really good that I could use, so I thought I'd pack things away and try again the next day, as by this time it was ridiculous o'clock in the morning... But as I lifted up the sheet to move it out of the way, I saw it from this angle.. and thought 'Ooooo'... snap!



The flash made it quite hard to read, but I thought that still looked quite good. I took it without flash too, and got this! I really like how all the type stands out so much! With the shadow behind the cut outs.. this was because I was holding the other plain sheet behind it...
THEN I had an epiphany! I realised that it was the angle that was quite hard to photograph, and it would be easier and even look better... if I stuck it on my wall!!


I could tell straight away that it looked better! All the type is readable and quite defined, and I even quite like how you can see my other posters behind and around it, as it gives it the feel of being an actual poster stuck up among others, because really, that's what it is here.


I tried getting slightly higher than it too, to take photos from above looking down a bit, as well as below looking up. These are the original photos, which I am now going to play about with on photoshop to crop them and lighten if needed ect..


I also tried angles like side on, to see if you could still read the type just as well.. which I found out you can't really. Although that can give a nice quality to some things, not quite being able to see it without looking hard, I think for the purpose of this poster, it is not best. This poster is being designed to tell people about the exhibition at the Design Museum, so I think the information should be clear.


This is the last photo that I took. I managed to get it at a perfect angle, to cut out all of the edges, and get all the type fitted nicely in the frame! The only problem with this image is the colour of it. This will be because of the lighting in my room, however this is not a problem.. Photoshop to the rescue!

No comments:

Post a Comment