Wednesday 2 March 2011

Some progress...

The first thing that I had to do was to enlarge the net for my globe. I decided to enlarge it so that each side of the pentagons and hexagons were 3cm each. All of the sides are equal. So I drew it out in pencil on a piece of A3 white card. 


My next task was to cut it out, extremely precisely and neatly!


I think I accomplished that, lets just hope it does fit together perfectly! I also like how this shape looks at the moment, you can see the repetition of the pent and hexagons coming through..

Now before I assemble it I need to create all my trees, and also work out how much of the surface area is going to be 29.6%. Also I will need to cut the slits into the net before it is put together, as it makes sense to be much easier, so I need to work out where to put them.


I had to work out what size to make my trees in relation to the globe. I decided that around 5cm would probably be just right! But I also considered that maybe having a few different sizes would look better, as trees are never all the same size! So I drew out my tree at 4cm, 5cm and 6cm.


Then using tracing paper, I copied them out a few times onto the white card, and then began to cut them out...


At this point in time, I am still not quite sure how many exactly I will need to cover the correct area, so I have only done 9 so far, varying in size. I will most likely end up cutting out a few more, but I need to work out the calculations first! EEEK!


This is a card I picked up in Starbucks the other week, as the trees related my project. I also just love it as a design.. the simpleness of the white tree against the boldness of the red back ground looks brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment